Sunday, March 30, 2008

Change of Heart

Participating in a social cause is 'in' right now. But I don't stand for things because they are popular by fad. I do it out of the conviction of my heart.

I have always wanted to obtain a Master's degree. Lately I have been leaning toward Social Work (MSW). I love the church. I love working freelance for my church. I have talent and I don't want to use my talent to line the pockets of the already $$rich$$. I want to utilize my talents to help people. Yes, Mom, Dad, I know there is no money in social work or ministry or non-profits. But I've never been able to envision myself working up a corporate ladder working for "the man."

A timeline of how my heart has slowly been changing. . .

March 2005:
I discovered the story of two missionaries named Tim and Will of Travel the Road, who literally travel to the ends of the earth preaching to tribes and people where the Gospel has never before been. Their story impacted me. Tim had a college degree. He was smart and wanted to be a stock broker on Wall Street. God called him to the mission field. He sold everything he owned and left for the cause of Christ.

Something stirred within me.

January 2007:
Then one year ago I went to Winter Jam 07, annual Christian music festival. Steven Curtis Chapman, CCM legend, was the headliner. He promoted his non-profit organization, Shaohannah's Hope, named for his beautiful adopted Chinese daughter. They showed a video of the band Newsong in China visiting orphanages much like where Shaohannah came from of rooms filled with hundreds of unwanted, abandoned babies. I watched the video footage through blurred vision from the tears welling my eyes as the band members went through and prayed over each child and held them in their arms. One of the band members noted that the rooms were silent. He couldn't understand how this could be. Hundreds of babies and none crying at all? One of the workers answered that the children had cried all the tears they had for they realized that no one was coming for them.

My heart broke. I decided I am going to adopt a foreign child.

January - Present 2008:
Right now I am working on a conference for teenage girls called Chic in October 2008. The 2008 theme we have chosen is "Becoming." It is grassroots at it's finest and grant writing. I am not getting paid a cent for all the hours I am putting into this event but it is so gratifying to know I am doing something that is going to have a huge impact upon girls from all over Southwest Florida.

I want more. This is just the beginning. This is laying the groundwork.

March 2008:

I have recently become friends with a Russian ministry/rehabilitation program called Exodus. From hearing their individual harrowing stories of how they escaped death while on drugs and how they have come to know Christ just gets me. I hear about their pasts and see how far they have come and hear how expensive it is to keep the program running. These people are amazing though! I love them all and their friendship is such a blessing!

I want to get on board! How can I help? Where do I sign?

Everyone is passionate about something. I thought for so long what I wanted was to work in the Christian music arena and maybe I can still do that but I see a need far greater and one with which I know I am equipped. You see, God granted me with talents that are exclusive to me and a unique purpose to fulfill. Unfortunately I was not blessed with a beautiful singing voice or rhythm but I have something else--passion, compassion, a big heart, and the ability to write.
I can help these people. While others are worried about the planet and going green and being eco-friendly I am focused on more humanistic things.

People are my social cause.
That's my compassion for the planet.
The thing is I am not done yet.
It's a never-ending saga.

No comments: